PROVIDING ASSISTANCE to #pwME
ME patients and caregivers often encounter significant life disruptions that affect their daily ability to function. These patients may be housebound, need compassionate human contact, and may find themselves encountering problems that seem insurmountable.
Each patient has unique needs in solving problems related to their current state of health. Our approach is to emphasize self-help (when the patient is able) recognizing that some severely ill patients may not have energy or financial resources. ME International has identified the following areas where assistance can make a difference.
- Emergency Relief Project supports members who have limited financial resources. Initially, local community-based resources that already provide services will be identified and communicated to the person in need. Support can include housing repair, grocery shopping/meal delivery, financial assistance for paying bills (rent/mortgage, utility bills, taxes), cooking and cleaning assistance, home health assistance, etc.
- Patient Clinical Support can include such items as educational materials for the ME patient and/or their doctor, online workshops, medical ID bracelets, pulse oximeters, medical testing, and treatments. Support will vary on a case-by-case basis.
- Comfort Gifts may include meaningful craft activities or access to other activities of interest to the patient that provide temporary distractions from ongoing and often overwhelming challenges. It could also include such items as soft socks, blankets, healthy snacks, etc. These gifts may also be provided to the caregiver.
- Social Support includes participating in the ME International Facebook groups (Chat rooms, Caring Card Club, etc.).
To find out more about these support opportunities contact Admin@ME-International.org
HOW TO REQUEST ASSISTANCE FROM MEI
ME International welcomes members to request support. So far, ME International has helped members in the Netherlands, the U.K., the U.S., South Africa and India.
Please describe your needs in detail and how the support would make your life better. Please be aware that we may request copies of a photo ID, documentation of household income, household bills, lease or mortgage payments, etc.
ME International will seldom provide direct cash payments unless such payments are deemed necessary. If you are interested in requesting assistance, e-mail Admin@ME-International.org with questions and/or the following information:
- Full Name
- Phone Number
- Detailed description of request
We look forward to considering your request.
OTHER ASSISTANCE RESOURCES
“BenefitsCheckUp® is the nation’s most comprehensive online tool to connect older adults and people with disabilities to benefits. We’ll make it easy to see if you may be eligible—and then help you find out where to apply online or how to get help from a benefits counselor.”